NATABOC Re-Certification Process Made Simple for Athletic Trainers
Is the NATA recertification process overwhelming? We have simplified it with this post (and a huge list of free athletic training CEUs)
UPDATED 11/20/2023, Originally posted 7/19/21
By Hannah Bernhardt PT, DPT, ATC/L & Phil Plisky, PT, DSc, ATC
Recertification years can be stressful for athletic trainers as you try to complete your courses and ensure you have completed all the steps to get recertified. Our goal is to simplify the process and give you ideas for the best value in courses. There are a lot of ways to get your NATA CEUs and the recertification process doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive.
We have outlined the requirements and steps to make it easy for you. We have compiled a list of free NATA BOC CEUs as well as the best value in CEUs. But let's get straight to what many are trying to find...free NATA BOC CEU courses. The goal is to have the most comprehensive list so please email us if we are missing any. Also, please email us if any of the links have changed or are broken. We want this to be as simple as possible.
Where can I find Free NATA BOC CEU Courses?
What if I am dual credentialed ATC CSCS or PT CSCS, do my NATA CEUs count toward my NSCA CSCS Certification CEUs?
The short answer is yes as long as the course falls under the scope practice of the NSCA Certificaiton Exam. The NSCA gives a pretty explicit answer that I have provided below:
From NSCA "Only continuing education content that relates to the scope of practice and Detailed Content Outline (DCO) of an NSCA certification exam will be accepted. Below are some examples of acceptable and unacceptable content. If you have questions about the acceptability of a particular activity’s content, contact the NSCA prior to engaging in the activity for credit.
Examples of acceptable content:
Anatomy and Physiology
Organization and Administration (Refer to the current DCO for allowed content)
Testing and Evaluation
Return to Play Reconditioning
Examples of Unacceptable Content:
Group Fitness/Holistic Activities
Unrelated Alternative Health Topics (e.g., hypnosis, acupuncture)
Allied Health Topics beyond the NSCA credential scope of practice (e.g., athletic training, physical therapy or massage therapy specific techniques)"
How to Complete Your Online CEU Reporting for 2023:
- Go to BOC Central Log-In which is found on the top right corner of the main page of the BOC website. http://www.bocatc.org
- The dashboard will show the requirements.
- The CEU reporting form is currently available. Click on Menu --> Enter/Report CE Activity.
- Enter the CE activity information
Keep track of Category, # of CEUs, Course Information, and Date of Course on your online reporting form.
Requirements for 2023 Re-Cert:
ATs must complete a predetermined number of continuing education units (CEUs) during the certification maintenance period. The current period ends December 31, 2023. While every attempt is made to keep the requirements up to date, it is important to review the most current requirements for NATA BOC re-certification at https://bocatc.org/athletic-trainers/maintain-certification/continuing-education/continuing-education
Due Dec. 31, 2022
Due Dec. 31, 2023
|1. ATTEST TO COMPLIANCE WITH BOC STANDARDS OF PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE
|2. UPLOAD CURRENT EMERGENCY CARDIAC CARE (ECC) CARD/CERTIFICATE OR CONFIRM CURRENT ECC CERTIFICATION
|3. PAY ANNUAL CERTIFICATION MAINTENANCE FEE
(waived if certified in 2022)
|4. REPORT CONTINUING EDUCATION
|DUE DEC. 31, 2023
|If above requirements not met by deadline:
*Late fees may be assessed for each year requirements are late (e.g. $20 if late in 2022 and $20 if late in 2023 = $40 in late fees)
|Certification remains active, AT must submit missing requirements and pay a $20 late fee by Dec. 31, 2023.
|Certification expires. To return to Certified status, AT must submit missing requirements and pay a $20 late fee by Feb. 29, 2024.
- 50 CEUs are required per reporting year due 12/31/2023
- ATs certified in 2021 or before must complete 50 CEUs (1 contact hour = 1 CEU)
- Emergency Cardiac Care: Provider must demonstrate skills thus in-person and hybrid courses with a skills component only. Must cover adult, pediatric, and second resuer CPR, airway obstruction and barrier devices
- Payment of BOC Certification Annual Maintenance Fee -- $39 for NATA members, $55 for non-members
Confused about Categories?
Don’t worry because it seems complex, but is not as bad as it seems!
EBP: Note the Evidence Based Practice Cateogory has been eliminated!!!
Category A (10 min no maximum) BOC Approved Provider Programs:
- Programs in this category are approved through BOC Approved Providers (Visit the program directory to confirm an activity qualifies for Category A). Medbridge's NATA BOC Approved Provider number is P8441 MedBridge Education
- Post-certification coursework, residency, fellowship or doctoral dissertation with a focus on athletic training.
- A residency or fellowship needs to be a full year and may be claimed in the reporting period when the residency or fellowship is completed. (e.g. begin residency in June 2023 and complete residency in June 2024, the 25 Category A CEUs can be used for the 2024-2025 reporting period).
- Author of a peer-reviewed journal article addressing patient-oriented clinical research or translational research
Category B (no min; max of 33): Professional and Scholarly Activities
Category C (no min; max of 40): Post-certificate college/university course work; must be within the domains identified in Practice Analysis, 7th Edition
- CEUs are awarded for successful completion of college/university courses if the content of the course falls within the domains identified in the PA7.
- The college/university anended must be accredited by an agency recognized by the us Department of Education or the coursework has been deemed equivalent to US coursework by a third party (e.g. World Education Services).
- In order to be eligible, a course must be assigned credit hours and be listed on an official transcript.
- In order for practicum courses, clinical and internship experiences to be eligible, credit hours must be earned and listed as such on an official transcript.
- 10 CEUs are awarded for each credit hour (e.g. a 3 credit course receives 30 CEUs) and a credit hour must be equivalent to a minimum of 10 classroom hours. Teaching a college course is not acceptable for CE credit.
- Non-credit college courses are not acceptable for CE credit in Category C. Courses must be listed individually; do not list degree program or semester as a whole.
- ATs can utilize the free Individual Activity Review tool or request BOC staff will review your activity for a $45 fee to help determine if CE activities fall within the domains of athletic training as defined in PA7.
Category D (no min; max of 28): Non-BOC approved providers; Activities by non-BOC approved providers, videos, dvds, multimedia presentations/webinars
BOC has a program directory where you can search for programs and gain further details.
Still want more information: BOC has a more detailed handbook about CEUs:
BOC Recertification Checklist
- Enter CEUs on BOC Website
- Pay fees for both 2022 and 2023
- Enter CPR Course Certificate
- Update personal information
If there are other free courses or other helpful information, please email us to let us know and we will add it.
What is the Best Value In NATA BOC CEUs?
While free CEUs can be great and you can get close to the required number, sometimes free CEUs are worth what you pay for them. If you have to complete CEUs, you might as well get the most out of them.
That’s why I recommend MedBridge as the best place to get high quality (including the sometimes hard to find EBP Category) CEUs for the lowest price. Basically you get unlimited CEUs for $200 (Using MedBridge Promo Code PLISKYATC). And if you get your MedBridge Subscription in 2023, your subscription will cross 2 reporting periods which means that you will essentially get 4 years of CEUs done for $200 (2022-2023 reporting period plus 2024-2025).
While there are a lot of great courses on MedBridge, we are putting together a list of our favorites depending on your interest area. There are currently 97 hours of BOC-certified EBP and 800 hours of Cat A CEUs.
A full list of NATABOC courses that are included in your Medbridge Subscription can be found HERE. The list of the 600+ hours of athletic training CEU can be found HERE. So basically you get unlimited NATABOC CEUs for $200.
Some states have a live CEU requirement, in that case, MedBridge has live webinars that are included in your $200 subscription.
Hannah Bernhardt PT, DPT, ATC/L is a physical therapist and athletic trainer and orthopedic resident at Forefront Therapy in Evansville, IN. She is a certified athletic trainer and also holds certifications in SFMA Level 1 and LSVT BIG. As a PT student at the University of Evansville, she was the coordinator and session leader of ACErcise, a probono fitness class for clients with neurological disorders. She has developed an interest in treating chronic conditions and persistent pain through her clinical experiences at the University of Evansville in Athletic Training and Physical Therapy.